How to Choose an Essay Topic to Impress Your Readers
Excellent writing skills and a clear logical structure are essential for good essays. However, you’ll never get the attention of your readers if your topic doesn’t provoke any interest. That’s why picking the right topic is crucial for the success of your writing.
We recommend you to read our article on how to choose a topic for an essay. Also, you can find a list of original topics for admissions essays and essays on different disciplines at the end of the article.
Learn and get better grades with EssayBulls!
How to Choose a College Essay Topic: Short Guide
Picking an appropriate topic is the first step to a brilliant essay. This stage can be challenging, especially for indecisive students. Luckily, you don’t have to choose a topic by yourself each time you’re assigned to write an essay.
As a rule, your instructor specifies the subject. But if he or she wants to evaluate your creative abilities and lateral thinking, your instructions can specify only a certain field of study, and you’ll have to narrow it to a specific topic.
Here are four tips to choose an essay topic that will bring you a good grade:
1. Pick an interesting subject.
If you don’t feel inspired by your topic, you can be 100% sure that your audience won’t feel any inspiration or interest either. To compose a brilliant essay, pick a subject that doesn’t make you sleepy.
2. Narrow it down.
“The global economy” is a bad topic for an essay. Perhaps, it’s an appropriate theme for a multi-volume encyclopedia, but not for a five-page paper. Your topic has to be narrow and cover only one aspect of a bigger issue. For example, you may analyze the current economic situation in a specific country or compare economic issues in two different regions. Anyway, you won’t be able to develop a topic in your paper properly if it’s not specific enough.
3. Don’t write about obsolete topics.
Your topic doesn’t have to be as sensational as New York Times headlines. And, still, they should provoke interest. Don’t write about the things or aspects that have already been described and analyzed by thousands of researchers. Try to find something new and unexpected even if you are writing an essay about ancient Greece.
4. Find a unique angle.
Uniqueness is an indispensable characteristic for a well-written academic paper. Of course, you should use the previous studies on the topic in your essay, but they can only provide you with information, not opinions. Look at an ordinary theme from an unusual angle, and you’ll get a topic that is sure to impress your readers.
With the help of these tips, you’ve learned how to choose a topic for an argumentative essay, analytical essay, and any other essay you’ll be assigned to write. Now, we want to present our collection of essay topics for college students!
It includes topic ideas divided into various categories. We’re confident that you’ll find an original topic for your writing here.
Admissions Essay Topics for College Students
An admissions essay is an essential part of the application process. Thanks to this essay, admissions officers can see your personality and hear your unique voice. Below, we’ll present the most common topics for admissions essays that will help you to demonstrate your personal qualities and important skills.
• Problem-solving process
An admissions board wants to know whether you’re able to solve your personal problems as well as the problems faced by society. Describe your experience and focus on the problem-solving process, not on the final result.
• Overcoming an obstacle
The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
Nobody wants to deal with losers, especially prestigious colleges. This topic is appropriate for applicants who have essential accomplishments and can present them from the best side. Just in case: we don’t mean sports victories. Remember that you shouldn’t brag, but demonstrate how your personal qualities and skills have helped you to achieve success.
• Drastic change
When we go through changes, the best and the worst of us comes out. Tell about an event or experience that has defined your personality and has had a great impact on your worldview. Such stories are always exciting, and you’ll certainly stand out from the crowd of applicants.
Not only accomplishments, but failures also reveal our inner selves. Your admissions essay shouldn’t be about whining and disappointment. The main point is to show that you’re ready to admit your weaknesses and work on them.
• Life goals
For now, the college years are your future. For admissions officers, it’s important to know that you’re able to plan your life. Purposeful people can give the college community more than students who are used to going with the flow.
• Challenged belief
When you study at college, you meet different people and different points of view. You have to be ready to accept someone else’s point of view even if it is not relevant to yours. Tell about an experience where your belief had been challenged and how you dealt with it.
• Standard answer
Some colleges aren’t looking to accept anything original from you. You can instead tell about your interest in the major or college you selected and describe how you have recently explored or developed this interest inside and/or outside the classroom. You may also explain how this major relates to your future career goals.
You may wonder how to choose a college essay topic if you have full freedom of action. Admissions officers want to hear your personal voice, so pick the topic that will help to express your personality.
Now, let’s move on to other unique essay topics for college students.
History Essay Topics for Better Grades
- The use of intrigue and violence in the politics of Pope Alexander VI.
- Compare and contrast the French Revolution (1789-1799) and the Russian Revolution (1917): goals, events, and consequences.
- What were the main consequences of the Inquisition for the Catholic Church?
- How was slavery justified in the Americas?
- The most significant invention of the 20th century.
- Compare and contrast the ideas of communism and socialism.
- What was the economic role of the Silk Road?
- How did Japan manage to recover after World War II?
- Did the Black Plague have any positive consequences for European countries?
- Why have none of the great empires survived to today?
Psychology Essay Topics for College Students
- What is your recipe for success in parent-child relationships?
- Compare and contrast how living at the parental home and living independently shape the personality.
- Does homeschooling hurt a child’s social skills?
- Why are people afraid of the word “No”?
- Inner voices: where do they come from?
- How does the concept of masculinity influence the self-image of male adolescents?
- What are anxious and avoidant relationships? How should they be dealt with?
- Define the term “emotional health.”
- What factors shape our self-esteem?
- How should an employer treat workers with depression?
Essay Topics About Art
- Why does great art inspire us?
- Define the term “philosophy of art.”
- Compare and contrast art styles of two 19th-century artists: Paul Gauguin and Vincent van Gogh.
- Various styles of Japanese kimono.
- Why have movies based on real stories (namely biographies) become popular recently?
- The origins of Impressionism: figures and events.
- What makes Frida Kahlo’s style unique?
- Should students study digital art at school?
- What are the basic principles of conceptual art?
- Can video games be considered a kind of art?
You have our collection of ideas and a short guide on how to choose an essay topic. That’s totally enough to take the first step and get to work!
If you’re not in the right mood to compose essays by yourself, we have a solution. Apply to our expert writers, and they’ll deal with any academic problem! EssayBulls provides 24/7 customer support, so you may ask any questions related to our service.
Don’t hesitate to get better grades without effort – just apply for write a paper for me help!